- Contact mail: email@example.com
- Group leader: Pilar Cano Dolado
- M. Pilar Cano Dolado
- Tomás García Cayuela
- Andrea Gómez Maqueo
The research lines of the group BIOVEG focus on the evaluation of biological activity and bioavailability of micronutrients and phytochemicals or bioactive compounds (mainly vitamins C and E, carotenoids and phenolic compounds) from vegetables foods and improving their healthy potential through the use of new technologies. The search for new sources of obtaining functional ingredients are made from undervalued plant species, byproduct or surplus from processing industries. These lines of action can be summarized as follows:
- Application of new Nonthermal technologies to improve quality (sensory and nutritional) and healthy potential (composition and functionality) of food
- Ensuring food safety of fresh vegetable and processed using new technologies
- Use of products or surplus production and processing industry plant products
- Development of new functional foods and ingredients
- Assessment of biological activity, bioavailability and bioavailability of bioactive compounds from plant matrices using in vitro and in vivo
- Cano, M.P., Gómez-Maqueo, A., García-Cayuela, T., Welti-Chanes, J. (2017). Characterization of carotenoid profile of Spanish Sanguinos and Verdal prickly pear (Opuntia ficus-indica, spp.) tissues. Food Chemistry, 237, 612-622.
- De Ancos, B., Cilla, A., Barberá, R., Sánchez-Moreno, C., Cano, M.P. (2017). Influence of orange cultivar and mandarin postharvest storage on polyphenols, ascorbic acid and antioxidant activity during gastrointestinal digestion. Food Chemistry, 225, pp. 114-124.
- Rodríguez-Roque, M.J., De Ancos, B., Sánchez-Moreno, C., Cano, M.P., Elez-Martínez, P., Martín-Belloso, O. (2016). Food matrix and processing influence on carotenoides bioaccessibility and lipophilic antioxidant capacity of fruit juice-based beverages. Food & Function. 7, 380-389.
- Rodríguez-Roque, M.J., De Ancos, B., Sánchez-Moreno, C., Cano, M.P., Elez-Martínez, P., Martín-Belloso, O. (2015). Impact of food matrix and processing on the in vitro bioaccessibility of vitamin C, phenolic compounds, and hydrophilic antioxidant activity from blended beverages. Journal of Functional Foods. 33-43
- Cilla, A.; Alegria, A.; De Ancos, B.; Sanchez-Moreno, C.; Cano, M. P.; Plaza, L.; Clemente, G.; Lagarda, M.J.; Barbera, R. (2012).Bioaccessibility of tocopherols, carotenoids and ascorbic acid from milk and soya-based fruit beverages: Influence of food matrix and processing. Journal Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 60, 7282-7290.
- Plaza, L., Colina, C., De Ancos, B., Sánchez-Moreno, C., Cano, M.P. (2012). Influence of ripening and astringency on carotenoid content of high-pressure treated persimmon fruit (Diospyros kaki L.). Food Chemistry.130-135.