- Contact e-Mail: email@example.com
- Head of the Group: María Ángeles del Pozo Bayón
- Maria Ángeles del Pozo Bayón
- Carolina Muñoz-González
- María Pérez Jiménez
- Celia Criado San Miguel
- Paula Calvo
The group deals with topics related to the chemistry of the molecules responsible for the sensory characteristics of food, especially aroma and tastant compounds and their impact on sensory perception. Of particular interest and novelty is the work we are developing related to the impact of food composition and oral physiology on retronasal aroma during food consumption and wine intake in particular. In this sense, the group is a national and international reference and has contributed to the development of this line of research with important contributions related to the impact of the wine matrix and oral physiology (saliva, oral microbiota) on the release and perception of wine aroma and on wine liking. Currently, one aspect of interest in our research is aimed at assessing the extent to which different olfactory and gustatory phenotypes influence consumers’ food preferences, as well as the impact this may have on eating habits, as a strategy for the development of more personalized foods targeting specific groups of consumers (young people, seniors, people with obesity, etc.).
For our research we employed a multidisciplinary approach that requires the use of a large number of instrumental and sensory techniques and procedures, as well as chemometric and sensometric techniques.
- Perez-Jiménez, M., Chaya, C., Pozo-Bayón, M. A. (2019), Individual differences and effect of phenolic compounds in the immediate and prolonged in-mouth aroma release and retronasal aroma intensity during wine tasting. Food Chemistry, 285, 147-155.
- Muñoz-González, C.; Canon F., Feron G., Guichard E., Pozo-Bayón M.A. (2019). Assessment wine aroma persistence by using an in vivo PTR-ToF-MS approach and its relationship with salivary parameters. Molecules, 24, 7:1277.
- Criado, C., Chaya, C., Fernández-Ruíz, V., Álvarez, M. D., Herranz, B., & Pozo-Bayón, M. Á. (2019). Effect of saliva composition and flow on inter-individual differences in the temporal perception of retronasal aroma during wine tasting. Food Research International, 126, 108677.
- Criado, C., Muñoz-González, C., & Pozo-Bayón, M. Á. (2020) Differences in salivary flow and composition between age groups are correlated to dynamic retronasal aroma perception during wine consumption. Food Quality and Preference, 87, 104046.
- Pérez-Jiménez M.; Muñoz-González C.; Pozo-Bayón M.A.. Understanding human salivary esterase activity and its variation under wine consumption conditions. RSC Advances, 2020, vol. 10, no 41, p. 24352-24361.
- Muñoz-González, C.; Criado, C.; Pérez-Jiménez, M.; Pozo-Bayón, M A (2021). Evaluation of the Effect of a Grape Seed Tannin Extract on Wine Ester Release and Perception Using In Vitro and In Vivo Instrumental and Sensory Approaches. Foods, 10, 93.
“Inter-individual differences in oral physiology: impact on aroma during wine consumption and on the hedonic and emotional response of wine. (WINE-FISIOAROMA)”. MINECO, Plan Nacional, Proyectos de Investigación fundamental no orientada (2026-2020). IP: M. Ángeles Pozo-Bayón
“Relationship between body mass index and oral microbiota and its impact on aroma perception and food preferences (2019T1/BIO13748)”. Comunidad de Madrid, Programa de Atracción de Talento Investigador. (2020-2024). IP: C. Muñoz-González.
“Relationship between sensory phenotypes and consumer preferences: from perception to chemical and biochemical mechanisms involved in the oral processing of wine”. (WINESENSOTYPES). MICINN, Plan Nacional, Proyectos de Investigación fundamental no orientada (2020-2023). IP: M. Ángeles Pozo-Bayón
Recent Communication Activities
- Participation in “La noche de los investigadores e investigadoras de la CAM” with the activity “Investiga con el CSIC en MediaLab Prado”. 2020. “Sensorially active molecules” https://youtu.be/c6GH5R2r19Q
- The WINEFISIOAROMA project wins the PTV 2020 innovation award for the best R&D&I project. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wQhM7uesHOI&ab_channel=PlataformaTecnológicadelVino
- The Guardian newspaper reports on our research (December 2020): https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/dec/25/a-good-vintage-science-suggests-appreciation-of-wine-grows-with-age