- Contact mail: email@example.com
- Group leader: Mª Dolores del Castillo Bilbao
- Group Web Page: http://www.cial.uam-csic.es/pagperso/biociencia/
- Mª Dolores del Castillo Bilbao
- Amaia Iriondo De Hond
- Adriana Fernández
- María Belén Gutiérrez
- Maria del Pilar Salazar Gallego
- Fernanda do Carmo Machado Silva
- Jessica Brzezowska
Food Bioscience uses Food Science & Technology knowledge as a tool to achieve an optimal health and nutrition for the population with a strong base in biochemistry. The group tries to find out the links between physics and chemistry of foods and nutrition and health. Food Bioscience works in the design and improvement of food formulations and nutritional supplements for reducing the risk of non-communicable chronic diseases. These diseases, such as obesity, diabetes and metabolic syndrome are considered an epidemic of the XXI century associated to aging, oxidative stress and protein glycation. The group aims to produce high sensorial quality foods for people with particular nutritional requirements and also for medical propose with the final aim to satisfy consumers’ preferences and to achieve the transfer of knowledge from the academia to the industry. The main innovation of the research carried out by Bioscience is based on the application of concepts such as bio-refinery and sustainability in the design of new foods and nutritional supplements. The valorization of food waste, principally with a vegetal origin, into health promoting products for humans is one of the priority research lines of the group. Food Bioscience bases its research in the philosophy of zero food waste. The group employs green easy to scale up processes because of their low cost and simple technological requirements. The group uses in the formulation of innovative products ingredients with known nutritional and health claims focusing the attention on the study of the mechanism of action of those food ingredients which is still unclear (phytochemicals, hypocaloric sweeteners, dietary fiber, vegetable proteins, advanced glycation end products also called glycotoxins). In order to find out any cause effect relationship of their consumption in the pathogenesis of chronic diseases and the subsequent authorization of health claims by regulatory organs. Food Bioscience runs the research at different experimental levels including in vitro, cell culture and in vivo studies. Food Bioscience performs a multidisciplinary research in collaboration with other national and international scientists.
- del Castillo, M.D.; Iriondo-DeHond, A.; Iriondo-DeHond, M.; Gonzalez, I.; Medrano, A.; Filip, R.; Uribarri, J. Healthy Eating Recommendations: Good for Reducing Dietary Contribution to the Body’s Advanced Glycation/Lipoxidation End Products Pool? Res. Rev. 2020, 1–57.
- Iriondo-DeHond, A.; Elizondo, A.S.; Iriondo-DeHond, M.; Ríos, M.B.; Mufari, R.; Mendiola, J.A.; Ibañez, E.; del Castillo, M.D. Assessment of Healthy and Harmful Maillard Reaction Products in a Novel Coffee Cascara Beverage: Melanoidins and Acrylamide. Foods 2020, 9, 620.
- Martínez, V.; Iriondo DeHond, A.; Borrelli, F.; Capasso, R.; del Castillo, M.D.; Abalo, R. Cannabidiol and Other Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoids for Prevention and Treatment of Gastrointestinal Disorders: Useful Nutraceuticals? Mol. Sci. 2020, 21, 3067.
- Rios, M.B.; Iriondo-DeHond, A.; Iriondo-DeHond, M.; Herrera, T.; Velasco, D.; Gomez-Alonso, S.; Callejo, M.J.; del Castillo, M.D. Effect of Coffee Cascara Dietary Fiber on the Physicochemical, Nutritional and Sensory Properties of a Gluten-Free Bread Formulation. Molecules 2020, 25, 1358.
- Iriondo-DeHond, M.; Iriondo-DeHond, A.; Herrera, T.; Fernández-Fernández, A.M.; Sorzano, C.O.S.; Miguel, E.; del Castillo, M.D. Sensory Acceptance, Appetite Control and Gastrointestinal Tolerance of Yogurts Containing Coffee-Cascara Extract and Inulin. Nutrients 2020, 12, 627.
- Iriondo-DeHond, A.; Rios, M.B.; Herrera, T.; Rodriguez-Bertos, A.; Nuñez, F.; San Andres, M.I.; Sanchez-Fortun, S.; del Castillo, M.D. Coffee Silverskin Extract: Nutritional Value, Safety and Effect on Key Biological Functions. Nutrients 2019, 11, 2693.
Recent Research Projects
- Generación de nuevos ingredientes y alimentos beneficiosos dirigidos a condiciones de riesgo y al bienestar global de personas con cáncer colorrectal (TERATROFO, IDI-20190960), Centro Para el Desarrollo Tecnológico Industrial (CDTI).
- Generar oportunidades de desarrollo sostenible para 990 familias de La Paz (Honduras) mediante el aprovechamiento de subproductos del café (2018/ACDE/000666), Agencia Española de Cooperación Internacional para el Desarrollo (AECID).
- Valorization of food wastes. Strategy for the sustainability of agricultural and health (MHE2000003).