- Contact mail: email@example.com
- Group leader: Adolfo J. Martínez-Rodríguez
- Group Web Page: http://www.cial.uam-csic.es/pagperso/microbio
- Adolfo J. Martínez Rodríguez
- Benevides C. Pessela Joao
- José Manuel Silván Jiménez
- Paz García García
The work of the group is focused in two main research lines: 1) food safety and health; 2) enzyme obtainment and characterization to improve the food quality.
The first research line covers the study of both, foodborne pathogens and beneficial bacteria and his interaction for consumer wellbeing. Mechanisms of foodborne pathogens to growth and/or survive in the food chain, virulence markers, stress resistance attributes, and novel control methods are also investigated. In the last years, Campylobacter, the leading bacterial foodborne pathogen, has been the main target of researching. We have been currently working on the relationship between Campylobacter virulence attributes and human disease (campilobacteriosis), as well as, searching alternative strategies to antibiotics for controlling this foodborne pathogen.
The second research line addresses the identification of microbial enzymes which is useful to improve food quality and safety. The current work is focused on enzymatic biotransformation of functional ingredients such as prebiotics and lipids. Also we are developing new strategies for enzyme immobilization to use them as biological tools in surface enzyme biotechnology.
- Silvan, J.M.; Mingo, E.; Martinez-Rodriguez, A.J. (2017). Grape seed extract (GSE) modulates Campylobacter pro-inflammatory response in human intestinal epithelial cell lines. Food and Agricultural Immunology 28, 739-753.
- Mingo, E., Silvan, J.M., Martinez-Rodriguez, A.J. (2016). Selective antibacterial effect on Campylobacter of a winemaking waste extract (WWE) as a source of active phenolic compounds. LWT- Food Science and Technology 68, 418-424.
- Silván, J.M., Mingo, E., Hidalgo, M., de Pascual-Teresa, S., Carrascosa, A.V., Martinez-Rodriguez, A.J. (2013). Antibacterial activity of a grape seed extract and its fractions against Campylobacter spp. Food Control 29, 25-31.
- Moreno-Perez, S., Luna, P., Señorans, F.J., Guisan, J.M., Fernandez-Lorente, G. (2015). Enzymatic synthesis of triacylglycerols of docosahexaenoic acid: Transesterification of its ethyl esters with glycerol. Food Chemistry 187, 225-229.
- Pereira, M.G., Facchini, F.D.A., Filó, L.E.C., Polizeli, A.M., Vici, A.C., Jorge, J.A., Fernandez-Lorente, G., Pessela, B.C., Guisan, J.M., Polizeli, M.D.L.T.D.M. (2015). Immobilized lipase from Hypocrea pseudokoningii on hydrophobic and ionic supports: Determination of thermal and organic solvent stabilities for applications in the oleochemical industry. Process Biochemistry 50, 561-570.